Swiss theologian and pastor / 1663-1747 / Connected to Neuchâtel / 1677-83 studied theology in Zurich, Saumur, La Rochelle, Or­lé­ans, Paris, and Geneva / 1686 installed as deacon, 1699 town pastor / several terms as head of the Neuchâtel Compagnie des pasteurs / introduction of worship reform / 1702 publication of a catechis­m, which served as the basis for the university / 1744 completed the revi­si­on and commentary on the Olivétan Bible translation, which was much used as a reference for the next 150 years